35 Best Foods to Stock in Your Fridge and Pantry
Canned Fish and Poultry – chicken or turkey; tuna or salmon packed in water.
- Baby Food and Formula – iron-enriched formula; baby food jars of vegetables, fruit or meat; infant cereal such as oatmeal, barley or rice.
- Canned Vegetables or Fruit – packed in own juice.
- Canned Stew, Chili, Brown Beans
- Peanut Butter – Light
- Dry Pasta
- Rice – plain, brown, converted or parboiled
- Canned Spaghetti Sauce
- Cereal – plain, fibre, non-sugar coated
- Canned Soup – vegetable, tomato, lentil, pea
The Healthy Kitchen
- Skim or 1 percent milk or fortified soy milk.
- Fresh fruit. Keep at least one kind of fruit washed, cut, and stored in a clear plastic container where your kids can see and grab it.
- Hummus. Dip carrots in this chickpea spread.
- Low-fat yogurt. Mix fresh fruit into vanilla or plain.
- 100 percent fruit juice. Dilute it with water or seltzer. Try pre-diluted Wadda Juice single-serve bottles or Mott’s for Tots boxes for car trips.
- Bagged salad. Look for darker greens like baby spinach or a mix of multicolored lettuces like mesclun or field greens.
- Lunch meats like turkey and lean roast beef.
- Tortillas. They’re a fun alternative to bread.
- Fresh veggies. Buy your own to wash and chop. Or pick up prewashed, precut veggies like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, snow peas, and celery to serve as a snack, toss into salads, or steam.
- Low-fat cheese. Stock reduced-fat block cheese such as Cracker Barrel 2 percent milk cheese, reduced-fat string cheese, Laughing Cow minis, and part-skim shredded cheese.
We’re prepared for your complaints
1 WAFFLE FRIES CHICK-FIL-A
2 DOUBLE-DOUBLE IN-N-OUT
3 FRIES MCDONALD’S
4 CHICKEN POPEYES
6 CURLY FRIES ARBY’S
7 BLIZZARD DAIRY QUEEN
8 FROSTY WENDY’S
9 MCFLURRY MCDONALD’S
10 BACON CHEESEBURGER FIVE GUYS
Bacon cheeseburgers are great because beef is great, cheese is great, and bacon is great, and these things are all great together. But most fast-food hamburgers taste vaguely savory, seem to be made of ingredients that are only food-like, and have the texture of sludge once they’re in your mouth. The burger at Five Guys tastes like an actual bacon cheeseburger made with beef and bacon, and that’s why it’s good. This isn’t complicated.